Question by PM: Is this an accurate description of being an Independent or Fence Rider? I am a former Republican of 27 yrs. ?
Please be kind… I am looking for clarity here? Not trying to prove anything… Does this description fall into the Independent Party or any party you know?
20 Reasons Why I Am An Independent
I am an Independent Because…
1. …I believe that both the Republican and Democratic Parties have many strengths as well as weaknesses. Furthermore, neither party’s political platform totally encompasses the ability, discernment and insights to tackle the diversity and range of issues in today’s American Culture…
Relationship of the Church to Politics
2. …I believe that the Christian faith should not be privatized (i.e. Christianity kept out of the public life)
3. …I believe that the Christian faith should not be politicized (i.e. Christianity used for political interests)
4. …I believe that the Church should be freed from ‘Coercive Secularism’ (i.e. the attempts to ban the church from the public square)
5. …I believe that the Church should not embrace ‘Religious Extremism’ (i.e. using the church to force policies upon society with spiritual bullying)
6. …I believe that the Church has become known more for what it is ‘against’ rather than what it is ‘for’ due to its recent involvement in politics over the last 3 decades. In other words, the church’s political activism has blurred, clouded and gotten in the way of the gospel.
7. …I believe that when you mix the Christian faith with politics, that you get politics
8. …the Church of Christ cannot be captive to any political party. The Church has its ‘citizenship’ in the City of God while at the same time living in the City of Man.
9. …I believe abortion & homosexuality are important moral issues of our time. However, I do not believe that these two issues alone adequately encompass all of society’s moral dilemmas
10. …I believe that poverty, peace & health concerns (i.e. the Worldwide Aids Epidemic) are important moral issues of our time. However, I do not believe that these three issues alone adequately encompass all of society’s moral dilemmas
11. …I believe that neither major political party can claim moral superiority or monopolize all of morality
12. …I believe that we need a national fiscal policy that rewards those who work hard
13. …I believe we need a national fiscal policy that is compassionate to those that struggle (i.e. the least of these)
14. …I do not believe in a Pre-emptive War Strategy (i.e. Neoconservative Republican War Strategy)
15. …I do not believe in Pacifism (i.e. Aggressive-Progressive Democrat War Strategy)
16. …I believe in The Roman Catholic’s Just War Theory (i.e. Self-Defense, War at Last Resort, Etc…)
17. …I believe that a Foreign Policy founded upon isolation and silence never solves conflicts
18. …I believe that we need to have talks with unfriendly nations with certain preconditions set before hand
19. …I believe that we need to reinforce our border for national security while at the same time recognizing that illegal immigrants are God’s Children.
20. …I believe that Fox News is ‘Fair and Balanced’ in the context of a conservative worldview and that MSNBC gives a ‘Fuller Spectrum of News’ in the context of a liberal worldview.
Answer by common_sense
These are all pretty independent. I agree with every single one of those things, although I’m still a Republican. There are just a few things that make me lean a little bit right, no matter how moderate I am, that voids my status as an Independent.
You didn’t mention environmental issues, though. Democrats focus way too much on things like reducing carbon emissions when we should be focusing on alternative energy sources, and Republicans tend to be swayed too much by big business who neglect the detriments caused to the environment.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!